The 48th UAE National Day is just around the corner and we all are geared up to celebrate this day with fun-filled activities. A lot of events, deals, and fireworks are waiting to embrace this day with a joyous spirit. But do you know exactly why are we celebrating this day? What so special on this day? If not, read through below to know about the UAE National Day and how you can celebrate this day.
About UAE National Day
UAE National Day is celebrated on December 2nd every year since 1972. On this day, the UAE nationals rejoice the unification of emirates into a federation and show their appreciation for the leaders and patriotic love for their country. Sheikh Zayed, the late ruler of the UAE, marked this day with the theme "Spirit of Union." It is a national holiday and hence the schools, government offices, and most of the companies are closed. The malls, shops, restaurants, cafes, and leisure outlets are ready to offer exclusive deals and sales allowing the families to enjoy the day and spend quality time together.
History of UAE National Day
Until 1971, the UAE is an assembly of independent Sheikdoms and was known as the Trucial States. It used to be a British Protectorate until 1968 and when the British declared that they are withdrawing the treaty, Sheikh Zayed and Sheikh Rashid decided to unite all the Gulf emirates. On December 1st, the federation constitution approved the principle and six emirates (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Fujairah, Sharjah, Umm Al Quwain, and Ajman) had united. The very next day, the seventh emirate, Ras Al Khaimah, decided to join the federation. Since then, December 2nd is marked as UAE National Day. The union of the federation was followed by the creation of national anthem, national flag, and appointment of ministers. Sheikh Zayed was the President of the union and Sheikh Rashid was the Vice-president of the UAE.
How to Celebrate Your UAE National Day 2019?
The people across the seven emirates are excited to celebrate the UAE National Day every year with various fun-filled activities. Here is a list of few things that you could do to make your holiday special.
- Watch the spectacular fireworks at various locations Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Dubai, and more. Don't miss the magnificent fireworks at Burj Khalifa if you are in Dubai.
- Dubai Marina Yacht Club organizes Boat Parade using the UAE flag prominent colours - white, black, red, and green.
- At Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Center, Military troops participate in a parade with their armoured vehicles, military jets, and helicopters. The soldiers also take part in the parade.
- Head out to recreational sites such as theme parks, carnivals, kids play areas and other leisure outlets to enjoy your day with children doing fun-filled activities such as face painting in flag colours, raffle draws, treasure hunts, and more.
- Visit Heritage Villages that showcase UAE history, culture, and traditional arts & crafts.
- Several shopping malls, retail outlets, restaurants, and cafes offer exclusive deals and discounts on a wide range of products and food and beverages in honour of UAE National Day.
- Exchange gifts with your friends and family members to show your brotherhood and love.
- Many schools host cultural activities like events, plays, debates, games, etc., on this day. If your kid's school is organizing any event, spend your day with them.
There are a lot more things to do with your family and friends across the seven emirates. Browse through the various activities and choose your favourite one and fill your day with joy and laughter along with your loved ones.